Saturday, September 04, 2010

Every Man in This Village is a Liar....

I had a great day today , Beth, Meg , Ben and James went to pottery while I browsed bookshops. I was looking for a book called "Every Man in This Village is a Liar" by Megan Stack. Written by a 25yr old national correspondent for Los Angeles Times about her journey of being a journalist thrust into the war in Afghanistan and Pakistan.
I saw an interview with her about the book a few nights ago.
Photobucket
Megan Stack writes in a way that you can see the scene before your eyes as she shares.
I am loving reading it and I have only got through the first couple of chapters.
I have always had a love for writing and I love that a woman so young got to play a vital role in reporting this so called, ~"war on terror".
Photobucket


Quote ~ Megan Stack
""Only after covering it for years did I understand that the war on terror never really existed. It was not a real thing. Not that the war on terror was flawed, not that it was cynical or self-defeating, or likely to breed more resentment and violence. But that it was hollow, it was essentially nothing but a unifying myth for a complicated scramble of mixed impulses and social theories and night terrors and cruelty and business interests"

At the end of her Prologue, Megan finishes by saying......
"As it turned out ,the first thing I knew about war was also the truest, and maybe its as true for nations as for individuals: You can survive and not survive, both at the same time."

I bought my copy for $39.99 at Angus and Robertson Bookshop .. but I have just found it on Amazon for $17.79 .. you can click on this link to order a copy for yourself.

No comments: