Friday, October 01, 2010

What is Grace??



 I heard Helen Musick, (Pastor from Quest Community Church) explain it this way...

                                   It was test time... for her students at College.
                                   They all sat down at their tables ready to take the test.. this was going to be a big one.. a major test of their course.
Helen handed out each individual test paper and placed it back to front on each students table..she then asked them to turn the test paper and begin.
As each one turned the test over they began shifting uneasy in their chair...some looked around. Others just looked blankly ahead..
Helen had in fact,written the correct answers to every question on each ones paper.
Pages and pages of correct answers...
Helen explained that all they had to do to accept the 100% mark was to put their name on the top of that test paper.
One student raised her hand and with tears in her eyes said.."Do you mean,this will be accredited as my work?"
"Yes" , replied Helen (This young girl was a bright student but when it came to tests.. she often failed due to nervousness) She immediately wrote her name on the test paper.
However one student stood up and said.. "You mean all the study and late nights I have put into it, isnt going to count, it means nothing?"
"No" said Helen.. "it won't count at all."
Indignant, he refused to sign his name .The class was divided , should they put their name to the test and have this unmerited 100% given to them , freely..with no strings attached?Helen explained to them, "There were things I put in this test that you haven't even learn't yet There is no way that you could get 100% on your own, no matter how much work you put into this.".
Some started to write their name on the paper.. but still a few resisted.
Helen went on...."THIS IS THE SAME GRACE THAT GOD EXTENDS TO US..No matter how hard we try or how good we are.
God says.. it means nothing.I sent my son to die for , not to make you good , but so that you would be mine.
You dont have to do anything but let me love you....
his is my gift of Grace to you...Come to me and let me love you ."

I put my name on my test paper 23 years ago ,and have tasted of this unmerited Grace every day since.....even the days when I mess up.. I know that he sees me with an A on my test paper and he picks up , and then, together, we start over...

What are you going to do with your test paper today?

Photobucket

No comments: